GETTING THE BALL ROLLING!
(By Frank Lozich)
From the Winter 1996 issue of The 66 News
On Saturday, September 6, 1996, 11 members of the Illinois Route 66 Association Preservation Committee ventured on an effort to prevent further deterioration of the roof structure on the old Standard-Sinclair gas station in Odell, Illinois.
Our work entailed covering the shingled section of the old roof with a plastic tarp to protect the office and canopy sections of the structure. The tarp will act as temporary protection against further deterioration from the elements of weather.
Members present were Bill Pryzbyiski, Randy Smith, Marie Jibben, John and Lenore Weiss, Jeff and Annette LaFollette, Dorothy Seratt and her son Nate, along with Frank and Roxane Lozich.
The Preservation Committee at work again, on its second project. On top of the roof is your Newsletter Editor, Randy Smith. Everyone else contributed to getting the job done, and cheered on. There was Route 66 music going all day for us
The station has been currently owned since 1952 by Robert (Bob) Close. Bob was present that morning and is interested in the historic preservation of the structure.
The project was successful, and with the owners’ permission, the Preservation Committee donated a Route 66 shield to mount on front of the building that can be seen from the road. It took about 4 hours to get the job done.
Afterwards, the group headed south to the Old Log Cabin in Pontiac for lunch, where Frank conducted a meeting.
The Committee hopes that this effort will spur local interest in historic preservation of the station and Route 66.
For further information regarding this subject and other preservation activities, contact Frank Lozich at 708-429-9173 or John Weiss at 815-469-5219.
The Preservation Committee, posing in front of its completed project. Notice the donated Route 66 shield they put up by the Sinclair sign